Friday 15 November 2013

Part 2 Stage 3 (2)

Working with vilene


If you've read something like this before and it's not quite the same I'm sorry.  Stupidly I've just deleted the original and I'm now re-writing.  Because the work isn't fresh in my mind I doubt it will be in such detail as the missing post.

What I'm going to do is work around my photos and rely on my memory.

I looked on the internet for information on printing with a vilene screen and came across this site:

http://www.maggi21handdyes.com/printing-vilene-interfacing-screen/#comment-887

This gave good, straightforward instructions for working with vilene so I decided to try it out.

(Thanks Maggie for your interest and encouragement) 

I've become interested in the work of Soraya French (2013) who has written articles on Colour Triads in "The Artist".  As a result I decided to use the red, yellow, blue triad and see what happened.



I have so many colours here.  I used about half a square metre of calico and randomly printed.  First there were 3 pulls of red then 3 of blue and finally 4 of yellow (because there was a gap).

I'm pleased with this.

Next I tried the same method but made cut outs and painted acrylic paint on the vilene.




This time I used the orange, green, purple triad:




Once again the colours are quite spectacular and there's lots of texture.

Reluctant to put my gash paint down the sink I slopped it onto another piece of calico and hey presto

My serendipity cloth

Areas of interest can take you near and far

The safety of my garden

Down in the jungle where nobody goes



Space - the final frontier



Sorry if this is less than before but that's the gist of it.


French Soraya, 2013, The Artist.  Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May Journal

http://www.maggi21handdyes.com/printing-vilene-interfacing-screen/#comment-887

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOv6-Mlv0Ls

1 comment:

  1. Great results and thank you for the link to my blog. I suspect that the reason the screen took so long to get wet was because you were using paints rather than dyes. I'm glad that you took the pads from the screen as it needs to be ver flat in contact with the fabric to work well.

    ReplyDelete