Wednesday 27 November 2013

Knitting and Stitching Show, Harrogate



I went to the show on the opening day and it was busy, busy, busy.  I managed to complete my shopping easily and left lots of time for looking at the work of folk I admire and finding new ones to add to the list.  Here's a few of the things I'll remember and hopefully try out.

Val Holmes
I now have a wish list and right at the top is a workshop with Val Holmes.  The fact that it is in France would be a bonus.  I talked for a long time with Val about dyeing generally and discharge printing specifically and she was generous with her help and advice.


Val Holmes
http://textile-art-centre.com.fr/wp-content/gallery/a-year-in-art-textiles/june.jpg


Val's  passions are colour, light, composition, threads, her sewing machine and drawing with pastels water colours, dyes and paints.  The excitement she feels about her work and the landscape that inspires it shines through.

I think I'm particularly keen on this because it fits so neatly with what I've been trying out.

Janice Gunner
I was particularly taken with the Shibori work by Janice.  Using indigo dye, a bit of plastic pipe and lots of imagination she produces wonderful patterns.


www.janicegunner.co.uk

She also described a method where she pulled running stitch up very tight and then dyed the fabric.  It sounds so simple but then the best effects often are.  Given time I'll try these methods.

Jean Draper
Jean's work is very different; it reminds me very much of the work I did on structure in A Creative Approach although it's far, far more accomplished.  



I liked this when I did some digging on the web:

From magstitch.blogspot.com

As ever all I want to do is touch it.  Seeing this work has reminded me how much I enjoyed making structures and that I shouldn't overlook it as a way to work.

Ruth Issett
I have been very alive to colour in my screen printing work and have learned to look at it slightly differently.  This made me very susceptible to the seductive colours of Ruth Issett.  She had sketchbooks on show and leafing through them was a great inspiration and gave me a direction I might like to try out.  I couldn't wait until Christmas I bought her new book for myself.  I can't really review it yet because I've only leafed through but it's delicious.

This shows how Ruth layers fabric and stitches by hand. textilestudygroup.co.uk
Ruth spends lots of time playing with layers before she commits to a course of action and this in itself is a learning point.

I had a lovely day that offered no end of new ideas and the opportunity to see how unusual materials might be used.



Issett, Ruth, 2013, A Passion for Colour.  Search Press, Tunbridge Wells.

textilestudygroup.co.uk
http://textile-art-centre.com.fr/wp-content/gallery/a-year-in-art-textiles/june.jpg







No comments:

Post a Comment