Thursday 2 January 2014

Vivienne Westwood's ballet costumes

Every year on New Years Day the Vienna Philharmonic give a concert and in the intermission it includes ballet by the Vienna State Ballet.  Whilst the music isn't entirely to my taste I watch just for the dance element.  I thought this years costumes were fantastic and then I discovered they were by Vivienne Westwood whose husband is Austrian and remembers the concerts as part of his childhood.

The first of the two dances was traditional ballet with suitable traditional costumes.  These were slightly changed versions of outfits from Westwood's 2014 Gold Label Collection.  The colours seem to link very closely with the colours in my previous post on Colour Trends.


The costumes echoed the extravagant surroundings.  In this context I found the dark dress (back right) slightly jarring.

The second dance was much more lighthearted and this gave Westwood the opportunity to exhibit some of her trademark flamboyance.  The dancers, male and female wore kilts and other bits and bobs with a recognisably  Scottish theme.  The make up matched the outfits gloriously.





Inspirational fun.





No comments:

Post a Comment