Monday 13 January 2014

Assignment 2 (3)

I've some time before my Assignment is due in and I don't want to waste it so I'm going to do a little more experimenting.

One of the phrases I use a lot is "I decided" and this is because I'm forever making choices about which path to take and considering alternatives.

Occasionally though something just pops up and I have to do it and this is what has happened with this next piece of work.  It is taken from the print I made with a small bit of card and was one of the things I considered for my scarf.


I dismissed it for my scarf because it looked too heavy.  However, I had a flash of inspiration  that I've had to pursue.

Water soluble pencil crayon

My plan is to screen print the solid shapes and print the textured squares as before. An alternative is to make a block to print with but I think a stencil will be more accurate, less time consuming to make and lends itself to just a limited number of prints. This design would be appropriate for soft furnishing fabric and would adapt to many colour schemes.  I've based my colour choices around what I used before because they worked well, although I experimented a bit as well.


Using a bit of light cotton and a sticky back plastic stencil I screen printed with dark purple.  I've used my Selectacine dyes and in the past I've found that as the process unfolds the colours can become more subdued and I'm hoping that will be so with this colour; it's a bit dark at the moment.



The first colour I introduced was a mid yellow.

Then lime green:



And finally a pale magenta (procion):



This seems to work well.  There are little spots of colour on some of the purple and they are lovely. All the photos are taken prior to heat setting and washing.  If they change substantially after that I'll make further notes.

Later...

There was no real change but I noticed that some of the colours in the printed squares bled a little. This looks OK to my way of thinking but if I wanted to avoid it I would have needed to heat set each colour as it dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment