Saturday 18 January 2014

Part 2 General reflections

At the end of the screen printing tasks I wrote a mini review whilst things were still fresh in my mind and it needs to be read in tandem with this work.

At the start of Part 2 I'd never used any dye apart from the occasional bit of Dylon and I was pretty apprehensive.  I didn't really know where to start and I spent a long time trying to decide what sort of dye to buy.  I chose to buy Selectacine from George Weil but later on realised I'd made a mistake by not getting Procion MX which I came to know is much more versatile and goes into the fabric as opposed to on it.

Almost by accident I slipped into looking closely at stripes and grids.  Whilst not everything I worked on followed this theme it informed most of what I did and I became intrigued by the variation available to the designer with a "stripes" brief and the effects that could be obtained with screen printing.


Along the way I've given time to developing my knowledge of colour.  This was partly because I was getting many interesting things happening particularly when I was screen printing using vilene. Some mixes were completely unexpected like when I appeared to have created gold on my tea towels.




My trip to the Harrogate Knit and Stitch Show introduced me to Ruth Issett's work and I was completely bowled over.  I've used Colour on Cloth almost every day since I got it at Christmas and it's been a tremendous inspiration.  My interest in colour prompted me to find the Pantone website and this has opened up a new area for investigation. Working with dyes means there's a need for lots of colour mixing and I've found all this background work very helpful.

I tried discharge printing which seemed to contradict the whole idea of screen printing at first. It was yet  another revelation. To date I've only had one try but I think I could pursue this in the future.

The design element of Part 2 led me down lots of different stripy tracks (and some dead ends).  I particularly liked the development of the card print and I developed it as a bit of an addition because I had time.



I wasn't overwhelmed with my scarf.  It was OK until the final stage of production and then things went a bit awry but I guess that's the nature of a prototype.  The process of developing a design is taking root and I love it when an idea "strikes" and you just have to do it.

I've probably learned more on this part of the course than any other.  I'm certainly less fearful of dyeing and colouring fabric.

My sketchbook
Part 2 is remarkable because for the first time I've filled an entire sketchbook and then had to add more.  It's slow progress but I'm beginning to use my sketchbook as a resource and refer back not only to what is recent but to A Creative Approach as well.  My return to A3 has been a relief.  The small images I used to make seem a lifetime away.

Demonstration of Technical and Visual Skills
I started from zero knowledge of dyeing but managed to find some confidence towards the end.
I am now in a position to make choices about which approach to printing and dyeing is appropriate.
I now see stripes and grids all over the place - I have a wider visual appreciation of their application.
My use of colour has improved as my reading and research has widened.

Quality of Outcome
I don't give up.
Some of my best work is in the planning stages rather than the end result.
I still have a lot to learn before I can comfortably predict what will happen when I'm dyeing.

Demonstration of Creativity
I am able to develop an idea sometimes from almost nothing.
I'm happy to take a risk and am starting to recognise when it's not viable.

Context
My research into both designers and colours has enabled me to expand my thinking.
I've focused on a stripes and grids theme and been able to find lots of work from it.
I'm looking at the work of established artists much more closely and understanding their techniques.





No comments:

Post a Comment