Saturday 4 January 2014

Mixing dyes

During Part 2 I've become much more interested in colour.  It might have stayed that way but having come across the work of Ruth Issett it has grown into a bit of an excitement.  I've also come to realise (a tad too late really) that Procion dyes are the ones to use.  

I'm going to spend some time getting to know my dyes a bit better.  I plan to follow what Ruth suggests on page 12 of  Colour on Cloth (2004).  Rather than use my regular sketchbook I'm going to start a new A5 one so it will become a stand alone colour resource.  I can get 6 sample colours per page.

Note - where my instructions say ultramarine I'm using cerulean.

I got lots of greens:






Many oranges ...








... and a whole range of purples:


















I call that a good afternoons work but before I get too excited I have little idea how to crate the more subtle shades I was after yesterday.

One thing I have done is to order some disposable pipettes.  "A bit" or "a bit more" doesn't seem like the sort of inaccuracy I need.


Issett, R. 2004, Colour on Cloth. Batsford, London.

1 comment:

  1. A good idea to have a separate book for your dyeing records. I find it useful for keeping fabric swatches in too. The subtle shades will come with experimentation.

    ReplyDelete