Friday 25 April 2014

Weaving a scarf



I'm not sure quite where this next bit fits so I'll record it separately.
My sister has a birthday soon and I wanted to make her something personal and I decided to weave a scarf.

The main criteria was that it had to be: 

wearable (not too arty)
washable
durable
comfortable
to suit many colourways

I've not woven anything quite so long before and I knew that the warp would "shrink" and the weft would "widen" when it came off the loom but I didn't know by how much.  I erred on the side of caution (no one wants a scarf that too short) and warped up with 44 x 2 metre ends using a 7.5dpi reed.  The finished scarf was in fact 1.9 metres long including the tassells.  

I found a fine silvery yarn (ball band lost) for the warp and used it double.  The 75% cotton, 25% polyester weft was from Linton Tweeds and their online catalogue describes it like this:

This has a white cotton core and has been tightly bound with a pale grey/blue yarn which also has multi colour slubs in soft colours of lilac, yellow, pink and blue. The binding yarn does not cover the whole of the core, and is spaced randomly making the yarn very tactile.



I wove in random stripes and incorporated sari silk in pastel tones to match the cotton boucle.


Showing all the yarns used


I used about 60gms of  boucle and 20gms of silk.  The warp also took about 60gms of yarn. I left long tassells and twisted them like this:

From The Ashford Book of Rigid Heddle Weaving by Rowena Hart.


This is the end result and I'm hoping my sister will like it:






Hart. R., 2002. The Ashford Book of Rigid Heddle Weaving. Ashburton, NZ.
www.lintondirect.co.uk

1 comment: