Tuesday 29 October 2013

Part 1 Assignment 1

General reflections

I tend to reflect as I go and I don't just want simply to repeat myself but there are one or two things that occur to me that are new.

The whole of Part 1 has been dominated by my trip to India.  It prompted all of my research and I learned a lot about the area I was visiting.  It gave me a real buzz to be able to talk to Indian artists from a position of having a bit of knowledge.

I have found the Indian approach to textiles very traditional and in some of my samples (the fused plastic) I tried to break away from that feeling.  It didn't work nearly as well as some of my printing endeavours.  I like to experiment and I found the limits imposed on me by the Indian theme quite frustrating. I think, with hindsight, that plastic was a poor choice of material and I became demotivated because of it.  When I returned from India I had no interest in picking up where I left off.

What I should probably have done is to experiment more with the Indian forms of embroidery; maybe interpreting some of the block prints in stitch.

I found the work in Stage 4 much more satisfying and I was surprised at the difference in the first piece (a product) and the second one (a more conceptual piece).  I difference was in the remit, the direction it prompted me to go and the license it gave me.

The "product" had a completely different set of criteria to anything else I have done. I was able to use my knowledge of Indian techniques to make a contemporary piece I was happy with.  My choice of materials fulfilled my stated  requirements for the everyday use of a table mat and I was happy with the choice of colours.  

For my second piece I wanted to distill India and I felt quite certain from the outset that to explore the contrasts was the way to go.  I started off going to use Indian inspired applique but it ended up being very different and much more experimental (in my terms).  Once I'd had the idea of knitted chaos it just had to be worked through - I felt quite driven.  I used materials that had meaning for me and typified India.  My reservations are in the reflective part of the specific blog.  My involvement in this work was much more emotional than anything else I have done and I need some distance before I can see it objectively.

I'm looking forward to getting back to normal and using my more usual motivating materials to work from.  I have got so much from my research and trying to put what I learned into practice but in some ways I feel India has placed restrictions on me.

My sketchbook
I've had problems in the past getting to grips with the sketchbook concept and  I've tried hard to use it to explore my ideas and record what I'm thinking and doing.  I have experimented with using an A4 book but I plan to return to A3 because it gives me more flexibility.  I find I need room to move and I don't get that with A4.

In A Creative Approach I found it useful to think about how I was doing in terms of the Assessment Criteria - a sort of self assessment.  I going to do it here as well because it prompts me to think in ways that may otherwise escape.

Demonstration of Technical and Visual Skills
I think my underlying technical skills mean I can tackle most projects without too much anxiety (to date).  Although I haven't tried out all the Indian techniques I could have a good try at them if needed.
My observational skills are improving and I now see things that would have passed me by previously.
I still find it hard to be objective about my work.
I need to concentrate on my compositional skills and refer to basics if I'm unsure.

Quality of Outcome
I think I am organised in my approach and it is easy to follow.
I am fairly analytical by nature and I think I bring this to my work.

Demonstration of Creativity
I enjoy trying things out and I'm getting better at accepting that it sometimes doesn't work out.  The learning happens when I analyse why.
I seem to be developing in ways that surprise me.  I am actually creating and enjoying "chaos" and living with it more happily.

Context
For the first time I have felt an emotional response to a piece of my own work - it felt personal.
I enjoy the research and like to look for applications.













No comments:

Post a Comment