Tuesday 22 October 2013

Sketchbook work

Selecting designs for a specific outcome (2)







This was the view of the Himalayas from the terrace where we ate breakfast.  The mountains look blue but in fact on the lower slopes (8000 feet +)  they are covered in pine trees.  To cut a long story short I played with the image on Google Maps then on Google Earth.


The image on Google Earth


A bit closer

I took a bit of a wander and found some snow


I love this lower image and I tried to interpret it with fabric dye.


I think this has turned out a bit linear.

The tranquillity of the mountains was in stark contrast to the busy chaotic cities; they were noisy, sometimes dirty and appeared totally disorganised to the uninitiated (me).

I took photos of electrical cables because they were so unbelievably dangerous.

Cable chaos

Cable hell






Closer cables
 I thought this was a good image to work with so I used Paint.net and applied the "outline" effect.


I outlined the negative shapes and got what looks
like a road map

I made a repeat pattern.  I'm sure I've seen a similar Ikea print







I manipulated it to an A4 size and chaotically
coloured the shapes with my Sharpies



Chaos - alternate tiles turned through 180 degrees


I made the image into A4 size, cut out the major shapes and so the colour showed through the tranquil mountain photo.



Instantly it felt chaotic; the contrast was so overt.  I wondered if this could be represented in fabric so I'm moving away from my sketchbook towards my sewing machine.





No comments:

Post a Comment