Saturday 15 March 2014

Assignment 3


When I scanned the manual prior to beginning Exploring Ideas I was really excited by Part 3 and it has lived up to expectations.  I tried most of the workshops and the knitting particularly put a completely new perspective on a skill I thought I was accomplished at.  I have always thought of knitting as a functional skill rather than a creative one.  How wrong can you be?

As far as the concept of Reveal and Conceal is concerned I found that I was quite creative in my interpretation.  For instance French knitting is very dense and reveals little until it is knotted or otherwise shaped.


French knitting threaded with organza


I was surprised at the variety of effects I could achieve just by altering the light source.  Even diffusing the light with a tissue changed things.  What didn't seem particularly  transparent suddenly came to life with light behind it.

Weaving

Even the spaces take on a shape.


Sometimes things just seem to come together and I feel that happened with my aqua weaving piece.  I chose the materials because of what they could contribute to a transparent piece.  The colours remind me of the sea which is itself transparent.



Very see through


With a diffused light

Probably the biggest lesson I've learnt in Part 3 is that lovely work can come from the most unlikely sources.  My laminate of fruit nets are a case in point. 

Laminated fruit nets

It mangled in the laminator and I almost threw the work away and yet from it came a whole range of work that I found exciting and fulfilling.

It's still  sometimes quite hard for me to submit a sample where there's not a stitch in site.

I've found several artists whose work is relevant to Part 3 including Jan Garside whose work is truly inspirational.  Jan's work is a woven with very fine yarns with a tremendous amount of detail and is something to aspire to.

Stage 5 was developed from my lamination of fruit nets and led me all over the place.  I've not worked with plastic often and the biggest thing I learnt here was to persist; if you want something try every way to make it work.  I was pleased with the outcome of Stage 5 and can see it's a technique that can be used as part of a piece as well as a stand alone.


My sketchbook
What I've put into my sketchbook has been a little different this time mainly because the approach has been materials led rather than being driven by ideas that have an external stimulus.  My sketchbook has recorded rather than developed.  The exception was Part 5 which pulled together many of the ideas I'd used previously.  I enjoyed Part 5 and the demonstration that everything hinges on something else.

I'm not using my sketchbook for anything else apart from coursework and I think I should.


Demonstration of Technical and Visual Skills
I am becoming very aware of what is around me and seeing shapes and patterns all over the place.

Following on from that I see possibilities for interpretation and can select interesting parts of an image to work with.

I find I am able to pick up new skills quite quickly but I'm tenacious if I don't.

I'm learning loads from established practitioners and trying to incorporate my learning into my work.

Quality of Outcome
I am beginning to realise that I won't always "like" what I do but that the process of extraction and development of an idea is where the true value sometimes lies.  The learning along the way so to speak.

I always try to do my best and make a good job of the project.

I try to learn from my mistakes.


Demonstration of Creativity
I'm starting to be able to anticipate an outcome with some certainty and select appropriate materials.

I am developing a repertoire of skills to draw on that enhance my creativity and give me ideas for new combinations. 

I love experimentation and trying things out.

Context
I've been able to look at the work of others with new appreciation and have more understanding of the conceptual process of a piece of work as opposed to only technique.




















1 comment:

  1. Really interesting results with the knitting again. Have you seen Ruth Lee's book 'Contemporary Knitting for Textile artists'?

    ReplyDelete