Friday 14 February 2014

Part 3 Stage 2 Workshop 6

Manipulating fabric

I've had a very bad week one way and another and I've done very little work and not attended to my blog at all.

However, this is what I did.

I started with a pile of organza. I love the way it layers.

I wanted to evoke some moods with my layers.

Because the weather has been so foul I wanted to try to get a bit of summer.  I fused together some organza ribbon and made some little pockets that contained things that reminded me of the sea and summer:

Summer???

It did nothing for me at all so I took out the bits and bobs and had a re-think.  In A Creative Approach I had stitched some calico into shapes.  Clearly organza would stitch very differently but I decided to experiment.


Pleats anchored with running stitches


I tacked pleats into the organza strip with my soldering kit but it wasn't good enough so I used a cross stitch to anchor the pleats.  I then anchored them again at intervals with a running stitch.

The rippled effect made by pulling the pleats the opposite way.


Next I anchored the pleats again but forced them the other way.  This made a rippled effect.

This looked very different from my calico sample.

My calico sample

I drew my organza sample into a circle:




Then lit it from inside:



























It looked quite lovely.










I turned the piece over

The reverse of the work


and did the same thing again with a very different result:

The reverse side lit from inside

I was surprised by how much light was absorbed by the organza.


Next  I wanted to create "midnight" and I layered purples, a dark red, pinks and a pale blue. 

Not quite midnight.

 It became very clear that I needed a darker blue but I couldn't get one locally.  Events then overtook me and I haven't revisited it since.

I started this workshop with high hopes but I feel I need to move on and try to get myself back into work mode with something fresh.








1 comment:

  1. It looks beautiful backlit. I did a piece of this using organza yesterday and did it by machining in the pleats but a very much tighter effect that way.

    ReplyDelete