Thursday 6 February 2014

Part 3 Stage 2 Workshop 3

Stitched nets, grids and structures


The task here is to create a grid on water soluble film.  The trick is to make sure everything is connected otherwise it all falls to bits.  With Reveal and Conceal rattling around my head I wanted to make something that would show light right through it.  I didn't want anything at all solid looking.





My grid stitched on to water soluble fabric


I used sinamay of various sorts to make my grid.  There's a bit of glitz in there.


I stitched into the grid then rinsed the piece


I used a Maderia thread and a zig zag stitch to fasten on thin cord.  There's some wool I dyed previously and some tubular net that I hand stitched on with some silk.

Next I tried some free machine embroidery onto water soluble fabric.  I just went all over the place and included some bits of net, yarn and fabric.  When I dissolved the fabric I moulded the piece over a resist but then realised that it would be more practical to have it flat for packing up for my tutor.

Free machine embroidery

Detail of the lacy centre 
This looks very delicate and lace like.  I'm quite pleased with it.




1 comment:

  1. Love the things that you have stitched your grid over.

    ReplyDelete