Saturday 14 December 2013

Part 2 Stage 3 (5)

Discharge printing

(Apologies if you've read this before.  On the previous post detailing this work gremlins stole my photos.)

It's taken me some time to get a clear feel for this and ages to gather the resources together.  I expect my materials tomorrow.

In the meantime I've used that very exclusive product, Tesco bleach, and had a go at discharge printing.

Using Tesco bleach squirted through a nozzle
on cheap cotton/polyester jersey
On black poplin 

On denim

When my materials arrived I took a deep breath and did some mixing of thin chemical water and 
Manutex and set to work with varying degrees of success.


Using discharge agent on the green jersey as before.  A very different effect

On Procion dyed calico
On the blue example above the result after ironing was an almost white mark.  After washing the marks became pale blue which indicates the blue dye wasn't completely fast.  It's quite attractive.

I also tried to discharge some pink needlecord.  I spent time taping up my screen but to no avail.  The pattern showed at the ironing stage but disappeared on washing.  Maybe my ratio of discharge paste and Manutex was wrong.

I've just been doodling on this exercise and seeing what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment